Thursday, September 4, 2014

Getting our Feet Wet

This week our we were able to get technology lessons rolled out into classrooms. I was really excited about all of that because of the fact that so many of the people that I work with have different needs. This week in 4th and 5th grade math, we used one of my favorite web 2.0 tools (not an app) called Kahoot. You can find their log-in site https://getkahoot.com/. For students playing the game, they will have to go to https://kahoot.it/ To get started, I picked one person from each of the 5 groups. I called them my "iPad experts." From there I brought them into the hallway and explained the game that we were about to play. I let them type in the web address into the web-browser- it gave them a sense of responsibility in which they appreciated! Once we went back in the room they went back to their groups and I explained the rules to the classroom. For 4th grade we played Kahoot using place-value questions. For 5th grade, we played using prime vs composite numbers. Until we got to question 10, each person had to work on their own without their group's help. Once we got to question 10, they were able to work as a team. If you haven't played this game before, it can get very intense, but in a good way! Expect cheering, screaming, and lots of high fives! Check it out when you have a chance! It's fun to be known as "The iPad Guy" when I walk into classrooms! These students are hungry for learning, and Kahoot is a great way to get them involved and engaged!


No comments:

Post a Comment