Friday, September 12, 2014

Who Said Popplet was Just for ELA?

I know I haven't posted much about Popplet much lately but I use it quite often! If you do not know what it is, Popplet is basically a free mind-mapping tool that lets you organize ideas onto an iPad or computer. Up until this past week, I have strictly been using it for English / Language Arts. However, I saw an idea on Twitter in which a teacher used it by constructing a Frayer Model (thanks Oneida!) in Math. I decided I wanted to use that tool with our 4th grade math class. The students have been learning pictorial, expanded notation, standard form, etc. However, I wanted students to have the opportunity to actually visualize their work rather than just doing it by paper and pencil. In this particular lesson, I simply explained how this app worked- I showed how to create a popplet (a text box), how to re-size them, how to arrange them, and the student's favorite-- how to take and insert a picture into a popplet! Once the basic understanding was taught, I then turned it over to the teacher so she could use her examples with the popplet.  Once they were finished, I used iCloud / screen capturing to collect them all. A tutorial will be coming out in a few days on how I use Photo Steam / iCloud to collect student work. The tutorial has been created and you can now click here to find out how to turn in student work via iCloud and Photo Stream.




No comments:

Post a Comment